Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

My very first "It's Monday! What Are You Reading!"

I'm thrilled to join the meme known as "It's Monday!  What Are You Reading?"  I learned that a "meme" is a way to share ideas...so every Monday I will share what I am reading!  This meme was started by Sheila at Book Journeys but I discovered it initially on one of my favorite blogs, Teach Mentor Texts.

This week, I am reading Pathways to the Common Core by Lucy Calkins, Mary Ehrenworth, and Christopher Lehman.  Lucy Calkins is one of my favorite authors of teachers' books!  I am reading this book to catch me up on the CCSS which will be guiding our Language Arts instruction from here on out.  I missed one of our CCSS professional development sessions in the spring while I was on maternity leave, so I am hoping this will update me.  I have learned a lot about how the standards came to be, what the anchor standards are all about, and various "pathways" for teaching with the standards.  "Close reading" is certainly a term you'll hear often in 3rd grade.

In future "It's Monday!  What Are You Reading" memes, I will share books I read with my daughters, read-alouds from our classroom, and more grade-3 friendly books!  

Until next Monday...keep reading!

2 comments: