Pages

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Great first week!

We had a great first week of 3rd grade together!  I hope all of the students enjoyed it while adjusting to the schedule and routines in room 23.  In reading, we read lots of great books already that revolve around the theme of feelings, including how to treat others and stay true to yourself.  These books included:  First Day Jitters, Chrysanthemum, Don't Laugh At Me, Have You Filled a Bucket Today?, and A Bad Case of the Stripes.  These books helped to lay the foundation for how I expect my students to treat one another in our classroom.  We will read more of these themed books this week, including my personal favorite Thank You, Mr. Falker, Stand Tall Molly Lou Melon, and Do Unto Otters.  Check out some of these stories on storylineonline.net.  All students finally got to choose a book from our classroom library, and learned what independent readers do at reader's workshop.  Beofre picking, students learned the "I PICK" chant to help them choose a good book!  Check out the chart below for tips on how readers choose a book!  We developed it together after students picked out their first independent reading book of the year.  Stay tuned as I share with you more good reads from our first unit, Building a Reading Life.
Our Classroom Library

Way Readers Choose Books anchor chart

I Pick!

No comments:

Post a Comment